Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Regulars

It has occurred to me that I complain a lot on this blog.
I realize that the concept is kitchen bitch'n but ok,ok, you get it by now. I work hard.
For all of the hours and sweat I put in, the fact is I do pull a little joy out of this place.
The regulars.. that's what it's all about.
The people who think my cafe belongs to them. Because it's their Friday night place. Or their girl's night out place or quick lunch place or their Sunday morning hangover brunch place.
For all the crap I put up with- these folks make it worth my while.
Everyday there's a least one person who calls me over to the table and tells me how much they are enjoying their experience here. How wonderful the food is, how beautiful the place is or how terrific their server was.
These little snippets are the payoff.
And as they return they become regulars.
In the year and a half since I opened this business I have met so many people. So very many people who have made my little dream a regular part of their lives. I welcome them, we talk, I get to know a piece of their lives- little bits about them. They are the jewels in my crown.
They bring friends, family. The newcomers are impressed by how their friend is welcomed and treated by me, the owner. Everyone knows me by my first name. They can always talk to me if there is a problem or just to say hello.
As much of a tired old crab apple as I am, every day I am lifted when I go to the front and greet my guests. I have a smile for everyone. I believe in manners, treating others with respect and never letting them walk out the door without thinking what a great place and that they must come back. I try to teach my help that no matter what happens, they've got to turn a bad experience around and fix it before the customer leaves. Really, all people want is just to be heard. Own your mistake and move on.
In this very difficult financial climate which we are in, we cling to anything that brings us comfort. My regulars cling to the knowledge that when they come to my place I will take care of them. And every day I get up with the belief that they will take care of me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment