Thursday, April 9, 2009

Holy Moly week


Easter, Passover, Good Friday, Lenten promises, no leavening, no meat, no school, no business and, a full moon to boot.
Last year it was our first year in business. The pastry chef walked out two days before a fully booked Easter Sunday brunch. (See post "Chefs v Pastry Chefs" for my philosophy on that topic) I was also going through new dishwashers at a pace of roughly every two weeks (see post, "Lazy-ass Americans").
But, I pulled it together. I asked my buddy Dave to come in and help out. He pitched right in, we worked our behinds off, my remaining kitchen crew came through and it was a success after all. My fondest memory was at about midnight Saturday night after service when we were still prepping for the next morning when 6'4" Dave started doing a pole dance on a column over in the pastry area. We were just loopy at that point.
Here it is, a year later. It's the same thing with these holidays. Make extra fish dishes for the Catholics who are observing Lent- guess what? Everyone orders meat that day. Let's make sure to have options for our Jewish customers without flour or leavening- then we run out of cupcakes by 12:30. You just can't second guess this stuff. We stayed open for dinner the first night of Passover. About 5 tables filled up right away. By 7:30 we were dead. I did a stroll over to spy on my Chinese neighbors, empty. Even the dirty diner next to them, empty. So we called it quits. Tonight, second night of Passover I decided to close after lunch. Now I know I will come in tomorrow with all kinds of messages from people trying to make reservations and leaving snippy voice mails about being closed.
Then Easter- we have got barely any reservations. I have really low-balled the food order. I don't want to over order and lose any profit that we might make. Now watch, the book will fill up and we'll be scrambling to stretch what we have.
Then the labor department. My favorite.
I lost my Mexican muchacho. He came in practically in tears to say his father had a heart attack in Mexico, his mother is hysterical and he is the one that the family had elected to go back to help them. Not only does he not know how long he'll be there for, but if he can even come back to the U.S. for certain. Okay, so I guess that means I'm cooking for a few extra nights, eh? Adios mi amigo. Hope to see you again one day.
Next, a very good waitress of mine gave me notice. Which was fine, it happens. When I told her today that I had replaced her and was releasing her 3 days early she freaked on me. That kind of came out of left field.
Meantime I have been trying to hire an extra server to fill in some gaps. But between the cook and the other server it's like trying to keep water from pouring through a leaky bucket. Every time you plug one leak, another opens up.
But the truth is, I've learned a lot. Last year, we made it through. I became the baker until we found another person who is not only talented in the kitchen but a delight to just have around. I hate to call her a pastry chef because she doesn't have that persona. And she can fill in on the line- so she can step in while I try to get me another Mexican. And, I have a pretty awesome dishwasher who's been with me for almost a year.
The waitress was leaving to begin with, she's been mumbling and unhappy for a while.
The new gal coming in actually used to work for me and after having some tough times out in the world she has a pretty humble attitude and is very grateful for the opportunity to come back.
So- I'll be filling in some spaces for a while. I'll be cooking a little more. I'll be waiting tables a little more. I'll be tired, sore and crabby. On the other hand I will have the chance to be in touch with the food again. I can develop some new dishes and strengthen some others. My co-servers on the floor will be happy when I work with them because they get all the tips. I will find new help because you always do. I hate to say it but everyone is replaceable. Some are just harder than others to replace but it's an ever evolving process this business. And it only seems to be more so around holidays. Like holy week. Care for some matzoh?

No comments:

Post a Comment